Sunday, May 11, 2008

and so we begin

I'm baaaaack! And you thought I've ungraciously retired from the blogosphere. Well not yet, not now.

SO it has been exactly a month, a week and four days since our return. The three of us are doing fine, despite having to face the initial onset of what seems like a heavy blanket of humidness the moment we stepped out of the airport. Don't get me wrong.. we're more than glad to be in the sunny tropics and away from the cold. But the humidity really gets to us. The constant feeling of sweat and stickiness enveloping the body is really uncomfortable. If I wasn't a fan of fans or air-con before, well I am now.

Ok enough whining. But hey, I'm a Singaporean after all. Wait a minute.. the French likes to complain too, otherwise they wouldn't be so infamously known as a strike-loving nation.

So are we missing France? - largely no but I do miss certain things for sure, namely, the medical convenience I've been getting while over there. But the slight fear I had before we move, concerning finding my footing here with the medical care was unfounded. Obviously, things don't work the same way here but the switch from French way to Sing way went smoothly even if I have to put in a bit more effort on my part. But the big OUCH comes in the form of dollars. If we didn't have to draw out a single centime for my medical expenses back in France, it's cash withdrawal in chunks here. Like I said, things don't work the same way. Well you can't blame us for harping on and on about that (not so much now) but the human nature is bound to react when one's habit (in our case, habit of having our med expenses taken care of by the French system) has been taken away. C'est comme ca la vie.. you win some, you lose some.

I do miss our apartment.. umm well maybe not the apartment per se but having a place to call our own. Our last day in our apartment was busy spent unloading our stuff to the truck and clearing our things but everything was done in a jiff, thanks to the PIL and BIL. It was a poignant moment for me when the time came for us to leave. I was the last person to step out of the apartment and gave one last parting glance before closing the door. I was feeling feeling sad like that.

Well the plan to have our own abode here can take a backseat for now.. we need to find jobs first and have sufficient savings. We are truly grateful to my parents for letting us stay with them for the time being and helping to look after our little girl.

Speaking of the little girl, she has grown into a 'ball' of cuteness and geramness. She is a really happy and active little darling, always smiling and getting excited at the slightest things :)

So what have we been doing since we arrived? We've been moving around the island for job interviews (for hubby), getting acquainted with the medical people here and formalizing the papers for hubby's PR... we've been pretty busy, I'd say. Well hubby's still furiously trying to find a job. He had quite a number of interviews but the bulk of it said he was over-qualified for the job. So, still trying..

On the gastronomical front, I had my Singapore-food deprived tastebuds fully gratified since day one. Well of course there're still a whole lot of other yummy food to discover... yes, me happy here :) Happy to be back with my family, relatives and friends.. happy to be out of the cold.. happy to be back behind the wheels.. happy to have a loving husband and a beautiful daughter. Yes, me happy :D

No comments: