Wednesday, June 28, 2006

let the ball roll!

Now, I'm not a soccer fan.. but I can watch the occasional 'interesting' match like those of the World Cup caliber and more so if it's the final match. So last night was the first time I saw a live match since the World Cup kicked off. It was a match between France/Spain and France won 3-1.. it was exhilarating to see the two teams played even if I just saw the last 20 minutes or so of the match.. at least I caught the 2 winning goals from the French team. Soon after the match ended, honking from cars tooted the streets every now and then for a good 30 minutes, to glorify the French win. It was a pity to see Spain booted from the tournament though.. I like the Spanish team.. mainly because of Raul.. oh nevermind... (mais tu es toujours le meilleur, mon chéri :)

So les bleus=the blue (that's how the French team is affectionately referred to by their loyal, high-spirited fans) will be up against Brazil in the next match.. now that, would be interesting to watch. The French team has been dubbed as l'équipe de vieux (literally, the team of old man) due to the fact that most of the players are well into retirement age, in soccer term. But just like the wines here, they get better with age.. or don't they? Well we'll just have to wait and see if these 'wines' will be good enough till the end to be put up on a pedestal or to be spit out like a bad aftertaste. I'd like to watch France play England.. so to echo the millions supporter of the old team, "aaallez.. les bleus!"

[NB: The 3 French scorers. Photo courtesy of AFP]

No comments: